Traffic Management Decisions
- Hobart Small Businesses are suffering from current traffic management decisions
- Current and proposed lane closures by UTAS combined with the new scrambled crossing are having an impact.
- UTAS developers are proposing to permanently close part of Brisbane Street to vehicles and pedestrians for the next 2 years.
- This area is a shadow of its former self with just 2 businesses left trading, everyone else has left.
Brisbane Street closure will:
- Restrict all vehicle and pedestrian access on the westbound side resulting in the loss of 8 car spaces,
- Reduce customer access for all the businesses in the surrounding area,
- Cause traffic congestion and chaos as seen in current Campbell Street and Harrington Street closures.
- Scrambled crossings are greatly adding to traffic congestion in the inner CBD with only a handful of cars getting through each time.
- Businesses in Elizabeth Street are suffering decreased air quality due to the petrol fumes from the banked up traffic.
This petition is calling on the Hobart City Council to:
- Allow for greater flexibility with lane closures by not applying blanket bans to vehicle and pedestrian access,
- Advise the State Government on either adjusting OR removing all scramble crossings to allow traffic to flow.